Part-time position; Monday-Friday 11:30am-4:30pm
Please apply by completing our online application at https://www.westendumc.org/job-application
Please call the church office at 615-321-8500 if you wish a paper application. Fax# 615-327-4460.
West End UMC is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Principal Functions for this position
This person serves as the first impression and gateway for all weekday activities (church and school) and is responsible for creating a positive and inviting impression of the church and its ministries. This person also provides administrative support to our Pastor of Missions and Outreach.
Regular Duties as Receptionist:
• Answer and transfer all incoming phone calls in a cordial and professional manner
• Arrive promptly every day
• Greet all members, visitors and guests in a friendly and patient manner
• Inform guests of COVID-19 protocols and provide masks when needed
• Show sensitivity when talking with people of all situations
• Discern potential security threats and respond quickly and judiciously
• Participate in drills and execute the child safety plan
• Ensure that visitors sign in, have a name badge; and alert staff of those who need assistance
• Announce guests to appropriate staff
• Answer questions and provide information regarding the church to members and guests
• Direct inquiries to appropriate staff
• Keep the provided church calendar accurate for visitor inquiries, front desk volunteers, and for security personnel
• Keep reservations for weekly Wednesday night meals, monthly all church lunches, and other occasional events
• In coordination with the HR Director, recruit, train, and organize volunteers to ensure the reception desk has coverage at all times during business hours
• Other duties as assigned
Regular Duties as Administrative Assistant to Missions/Outreach/Advocacy
• Screen benevolence calls and keep record of calls asking for benevolence
• Greets those who seek assistance and connects them to staff, volunteers, and partner organizations. Provides minimal assistance such as distributing snack bags and bus passes.
• Be proficient in understanding how to use community resources such as Where to Turn in Nashville and 211 to direct people who walk in and call asking for financial assistance
• Communicate, when necessary, with partner organizations at the request of the Pastor of Missions and Outreach
• Assist Pastor of Missions/Outreach and Property Operations Manager on sustainability projects for the church
• Make phone calls to NES for assistance
• Create and mail correspondence
• Make copies
• Solid interpersonal skills using tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
• Proficiency with shared document management in Google Drive and Microsoft Teams
• Ability to shift between changing priorities, working with accuracy and speed
• Ability to listen, learn and communicate effectively
• Focus, discipline and ability to self-direct work with minimal direct supervision
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (esp. Word and Excel), and Google Mail with speedy and accurate data input skills
• Model teamwork and cooperative decision-making in work with staff
• Good written communication skills (ex. grammar and spelling)
• Realm-Church Membership Directory Database
• CPR training upon hiring
Light physical activity performing, non-strenuous daily tasks of an administrative nature with moderate noise. Well-lit, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
Physical Demands: To coordinate work, ability to sit for long periods of time, able to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms (occasionally overhead), stoop, kneel, talk to and hear staff and visitor requests, and also occasionally lifts or carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 30 pounds. Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature, using close vision with moderate noise.
Continuous work on a computer to carry out daily tasks.
Ability to use general office equipment to include but not limited to using a multi-line phone system, a multi-function copier, automated folding machine, multifunction printer, fax machine, and postage machine.
Ability to work in a confined work space