To provide quality care for children and to supervise the efficient operation of the nursery area for worship services and scheduled church programs. To work with the Children’s Ministry staff as a team integrating the vision and mission of the BUMC Children’s Ministry department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Be in partnership with the families of nursery aged children, the nursery staff, and volunteers maintaining a relationship built on understanding and trust that nurtures the children in our care
• Manage and implement nursery and childcare policies and procedures training staff and volunteers on proper processes ensuring that all certification and trainings comply with policies
• Oversee and manage the check-in process and age-appropriate care for infants and children during worship services and events providing hospitality to children and their families while they are on campus
• Receive and process childcare requests for BUMC events such as Bible studies, worship-related events, and other meetings as approved, monitoring registrations and scheduling workers as needed
• Recruit, interview, hire and train caregivers (paid staff and volunteers) to accomplish goals while following policies and procedures of Children’s Ministry department
• Schedule caregivers for regular ministries and special events as requested
• Maintain a clean and safe nursery environment to ensure that the nursery complies with all federal, state, and local regulations
• Partner with the Director of the Center for Children and Families in usage, care, and upkeep of shared spaces
• Adhere to Safe Sanctuary policies of Brentwood UMC and provide regular training for paid staff and volunteers
• Maintain overall cleanliness of nursery rooms and equipment
• Oversee the Rosebud Ministry for families of newborns
• Staff liaison for Cradle Care Task Team
• Attend weekly and monthly staff meetings as well as L3 Team meetings
• Lead quarterly training for nursery staff
ADMINISTRATIVE & FINANCIAL DUTIES
• Review and approve timesheets for paid staff
• Work with department director to develop, and manage the nursery budget
• Order, purchase, and stock supplies for nursery
• Record and maintain nursery attendance using Arena database
• Update appropriate calendars and scheduling software for nursery use
• Respond timely to emails, texts, and phone calls
• Manage nursery webpage and other social media platforms as requested
• A love for and a willingness to connect with children and their families to facilitate their spiritual growth
• Understanding basic budgeting and payroll processes
• Effective written and verbal communication skills especially as it relates to children and youth
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time
• Competency in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology (e.g. Facebook and other social media webpages) with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently (e.g. Arena church management system, event scheduling & registration software, and calendaring software)
• Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
• Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
• Creative self-starter who takes initiative and anticipates needs of the department
• Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
• Leadership skills and experience in supervising, coaching, and evaluating staff performance
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required with an emphasis in child development or childcare management preferred
• Two (2) to Three (3) years of experience in caring for children ages 0 to 5 years old
• One (1) to Two (2) years of supervisory experience required
• Theological understanding of Methodism and spiritual growth for children plus experience in working in a ministry setting preferred
This position recruits, hires, supervises, trains, coaches, and directs the staff and volunteers for the nursery area–
• works closely with Human Resource department on hiring and termination of employees
• schedules and approves timesheets bi-monthly for paid staff
• communicates expectations clearing with staff and volunteers while maintaining open and active dialogue
• deals with problems quickly and directly seeing them as opportunities for collaboration and innovation
• conducts annual performance reviews of staff and provides feedback on improvement
This job operates in an office and childcare setting. The noise level in this environment is moderate to high.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office or childcare environment and will interact with young children as well as older teenagers and adults. Position is active and is required to stand, walk, stoop, crouch, crawl and sit. The employee must talk, hear, and have excellent vision. Employee must be able to lift children and/or move toys, supplies or other items up to 35 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work are Sunday — Thursday, 30 hours per week with Sunday morning & evening plus Wednesday evening work hours required. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. Evening and weekend work required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed
by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.