The Facilities Ministry support the ministries and mission of Brentwood United Methodist Church by keeping the facilities clean, safe, and well-maintained in addition to performing room set-ups and teardowns for various meetings and events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Clean and maintain physical buildings of the church to include vacuuming and cleaning floors, dusting, cleaning windows, and replacing light bulbs
• Communicate with facilities management about any work that requires outside expert assistance
• Complete daily work assignments in a timely and accurate manner
• Ensure meeting rooms are clean and set correctly prior to scheduled events to include set up and tear down tables, chairs, and other equipment for classes, meetings, and events
• Respond to building emergencies when onsite
• Provide customer service to staff and congregation during events and other activities
• Performs limited grounds maintenance such as cleaning snow from and spreading salt on sidewalks
• Open and close church facility as needed for regular building hours and special events
• Be alert to campus security as persons enter and exit church property following proper protocols as directed
• Collection and disposition of trash
• Handle unloading and stocking of church supplies
• Perform routine building maintenance and minor repairs including drywall repair and painting, minor electrical repair, carpentry, and plumbing
• Comply with all OSHA safety and health regulations while following BUMC policies and procedures
• Attend facility department and all-staff meetings as requested
• Other duties as assigned
• Able to work nights, weekends and overtime when required while demonstrating flexibility with changes in assignments and schedule
• Able to follow written and verbal instructions from manual, documents, and supervisor
• Works well under direct supervision and independently
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively and courteously with staff and volunteers
• Dependable, responsible, and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
• Must have a cheerful and positive attitude and approach work with a servant heart
• Ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
Education and Experience Requirements
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Training or degree from a technical college a plus
• Two (2) – Three (3) years of maintenance experience preferred
Tools & Skill Requirements
• Basic knowledge of cleaning procedures preferred
• Working knowledge of standard cleaning tools – vacuum, floor buffer, cleaning chemicals, etc.
• Working knowledge of standard hardware – basic hand tools, power tools, painting tools, etc.
This job operates in a church building environment that provides space for employee offices, classes, childcare, worship, and other indoor and outdoor large events. This role routinely uses standard cleaning and maintenance equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work inside the church building and outside on the grounds. Position requires employee to walk, reach, bend, stoop, kneel, crawl, climb and stand for extended periods of time. Position also requires the ability to lift 50 pounds, work from a ladder, and have complete mobility throughout the building and on the church grounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work may be schedule Sunday – Saturday, 40 hours per week, routinely between 6a and 10p. Work shift will provide 2 days off in a 7-day work week. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. Evening and weekend work required.
There is usually no travel required for this position. If there is travel, it will be local and during the workday.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.