Job Description: Director of Music Ministries
FRANKLIN FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH—Franklin, Tennessee
The 3500 member Franklin First United Methodist Church has a dynamic, multi-faceted music ministry. The Director of Music Ministries is responsible for all aspects of the music program and will work very closely with the Senior Leadership Staff to enhance all worship services. The Director of Music will manage Sunday morning worship services ranging from contemporary to traditional, seasonal concerts, professional music staff members, and a variety of volunteer leaders. The Director of Music will oversee an adult choir and the men’s ensemble; promote, encourage and assist with youth and children’s choir as well as handbell choir; and lead or assist in various instrumental ensembles. The Director of Music will report to the Sr. Pastor and is a member of the Sr. Pastor’s leadership team.
Areas of Responsibilities:
• Worship: Plan, prepare and present high energy, spiritually moving, inspiring, appropriate music worship services in consultation with Senior Pastor and other music staff. Stay current on traditional and contemporary worship music and other acts of prayer and praise.
• Chancel Choir: Direct and rehearse adult choir. Recruit and develop choir members.
• Youth and Children’s Choir Staff and Music Programs: Recruit and coordinate volunteer staff to lead these music programs. Promote, encourage and assist programming such that Youth and Children’s choirs are vibrant, vital parts of the music ministry at FFUMC.
• Hand Bells: Recruit and coordinate volunteer staff to lead this music program. Promote, encourage and assist programming such that the Hand Bell choir is maintained as a vibrant part of the music ministry at FFUMC.
• Special Events: Prepare and present inspiring and worshipful music for special seasons and events; i.e. Christmas, Easter, Palm Sunday as well as weddings and funerals.
• Musical Instruments, Budget, and Communication: Prepare and manage the music ministry budget. Includes music purchase, instrument maintenance (pianos, pipe organ, etc), and other associated expenses. Develop and coordinate music and program communications.
• Audio-visual: Improve sound, lighting, and other aspects of the Sunday morning worship experience. Work with sound engineers and other experts to improve the overall worship experience.
• Music Ministry Growth: Develop a program to continually grow and improve the music ministry.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Advanced degree in music.
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience as a Director of Music Ministries.
• Extensive experience in choral conducting and sacred music.
• Proficiency and experience in instrumental conducting.
• Experience in a variety of worship styles including traditional and contemporary.
• Knowledge of vocal technique as it relates to producing a unified choral sound.
• Proven track record of growing a church music program, both in size and in a number of musical offerings.
• Experience with contracting professional musicians.
• Prefer high level of proficiency in at least one instrument
• Experience recruiting and training volunteer musicians and choral leaders.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Direct Cover Letter & Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org