Director of Missions & Community Engagement
Position Type: Exempt
Category: Regular, Part-time position (20 hours/week)
Reports to: Lead Pastor, The Village Church
The Village Church Vision: Helping people who feel far from God or disconnected from the church connect to Jesus and a community of Jesus followers.
The Village Church Mission: Leading ordinary people to become disciples of Jesus who make disciples who make disciples who change the world.
Build and lead a healthy, dynamic, multiplying team to lead The Village’s efforts to send people in our church to go to reach and serve their neighbors with the love of Jesus: locally, regionally, and globally. The Village desires to be the kind of church that would be missed in the community if it were no longer here. The Director of Missions and Community Engagement serves as a liaison between the church and the community, working to connect the people and resources of the church with the needs in the community.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Live out the vision, mission, and team values of The Village Church
o Strategic planning to build needed structures and systems to equip The Village to be a church “for the community”
o Recruit and lead the volunteer team who leads this ministry
o Manage the mission’s budget for strategic and intentional investment in the community
o Build relationships with all ministry areas of the church, serving as a liaison between Village Kids, Village Youth, and Village Groups and the needs of the community
o Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships with community partners – with a mix of Go Local and Go Global mission organizations and partners
o Coordinate regular hands-on mission trips, including with local, regional, and global partners.
o Lead annual Easter and Christmas offering initiatives
o Lead annual Sent Sunday service days – Summer Sent Sunday and Christmas Sent Sunday
o Coordinate benevolence ministry to provide needed assistance to those in crisis
o Lead efforts for the use of the building as a service “for the community”
o Attend staff meetings and planning meetings
o Work with communications team to communicate and celebrate community engagement initiatives
o Be physically present in worship and on Sunday mornings as needed to build connections with people in the church
• Clearly demonstrates faith in, and a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
• Understands and embodies the mission, vision, and values of The Village Church
• Enjoys a team environment and a job they can build, grow and evolve as well as working independently to complete a variety of tasks
• Ability and willingness to experiment, make mistakes, laugh, have fun, and take creative risks
• Loves children and families and is passionate about ministering to children and families of the community
• Leadership skills and experience in leading volunteer teams
• High level of competency in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with the ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
This position has supervisory responsibilities over significant volunteer leaders to carry out the mission and vision of The Village in the community.
This job operates outside the walls of a formal church and office building. Employee will work in various types of environments including, but not limited to, working from home, working in public spaces alone or in groups, and working on Sundays at Sunset Middle School. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in various work environments as listed above. Position is somewhat sedentary and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Employee must lift or move boxes of supplies or other ministry-related items up to 30 pounds. Position requires bending, stooping, and reaching to setup and teardown for Sunday morning and other events.
Expected Hours of Work
Hours of work are 20 hours per week. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. Sunday mornings hours are required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred
• Three (3) – Five (5) years of related missions or community outreach experience is preferred