JOB TITLE: Director of Communication and Engagement
STATUS: Part-Time (negotiable)
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
Forest Hills United Methodist Church (FHUMC) is seeking a dynamic leader to support our
mission and vision:
Mission: With God’s love and guidance, we will increase hope and healing in our communities.
Vision: Through relationships and sharing stories of faith, we hope to cultivate an awareness
of God’s presence in our communities, so that we can participate in God’s mission of fully
bringing about the Kingdom of God here in Nashville.
We are a medium-size United Methodist church located in the suburbs of Nashville, TN
undergoing a transformation process. In recent years, our main focus has been to move from
a membership model of church (where the church exists to offer programs which meet the
needs of members) to a discipleship model of church (where the church equips disciples to
make disciples for the transformation of the world). To learn more about where we’ve been,
view this short video from 2019 Church Council Chair Peter Cassidy.
In February 2020, we launched our Discipleship Pathway, which is the new model for
intentional discipleship at Forest Hills. Please see the attached brochure and Disciple Growth
Guide to read more about The Pathway and how it touches every aspect of our life together
as disciples of Jesus.
MAJOR PURPOSE :
Build and lead the internal and external communication strategies of the church for the
purpose of deeper engagement with the mission and vision of Forest Hills UMC.
A comprehensive strategy will include:
● Painting a picture of our vision through storytelling, writing, and visual means
● Pointing church members and visitors to clear Next Steps to participate in the mission
● Attending to communication needs for a wide audience: first time visitors, regular
attendees, disengaged members, and engaged members
● Communicating across a variety of platforms and mediums; soliciting content from all
ministry areas and leaders
● A consistent rhythm of communicating with the congregation before events to promote
participation, during to sustain engagement and broaden the audience, and
afterwards to celebrate how God was at work
● Equipping the congregation to communicate the mission and vision to others
DETAILED ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Build a communication strategy to guide your work, to equip leaders to provide
relevant and timely content, and support the staff in communicating their ministries
● Create and update print materials and building signage to increase a positive,
intentional, and hospitable visitor experience
● Drive conversations and planning with staff and leaders around virtual church
engagement (i.e. connecting with livestream worship attendees, virtual small groups,
social media, etc.)
● Execute communication strategy by writing copy and designing graphics using existing
● Track and report data on engagement and Next Steps taken
● Produce worship communications including bulletin, slides, and videos
● Support ministries by creating and maintaining forms, the virtual church calendar,
Zoom account, and prayer list
● A commitment to the mission and vision of Forest Hills UMC
● Takes initiative and is disciplined to see projects through from start to finish; manages
multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
● Thrives in a collaborative environment with the ability to adapt
● Creatively make videos, print materials, social media content, and graphic designs
● Communicates effectively both interpersonally and corporately
● Proficient in WordPress and website management and experience with email and marketing systems. Experience with audio systems is a plus.
● Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, or related field
Please send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio to FHUMC.SPRC@gmail.com to apply.
Contact Info: Malicia Wilson, vice-chair of Staff Parish Relations Committee
Forest Hills UMC, 1250 Old Hickory Blvd, Brentwood, TN 37027