The purpose of the Hispanic/Latino Committee recognizes the need to continue offering support to the existing Hispanic/Latinos ministries of the Tennessee Conference, expanding their faith and mission of the United Methodist Church with new communities of faith throughout the Conference, train the leadership ecclesial and strengthen the hospitality of the Hispanic/Latino culture with other ethnic groups. This quadrennial 2016-2020 will focus on strengthening three parts of the purpose mission:
- Serve as a resource to establish the extension, faith and communion of the Hispanic/Latino ministries of the Tennessee Conference.
- Promote the training of the Hispanic/Latino ecclesial leadership through a wide range of workshops, retreats, seminars and conferences that contribute with the spiritual and theological formation of pastors and leaders of the local churches.
- Strengthen the construction of the Hispanic/Latino awareness culture and work along with other ethnic groups for the development of the hospitality as a gift of God and spiritual discipline.
On March 29, 2016 the Committee on Hispanic/Latino Ministries, along with the active pastors of the 13 Hispanic Ministries of the Tennessee Conference organized work teams to develop a work plan for the 2016-2020 Quadrennial.
The plan included the purpose, vision and mission of the Tennessee Conference of the United Methodist Church, promoting the vitality of the present Hispanic ministries and to explore the possibilities of new Hispanic Ministries in the Conference.
The goals of the plan include:
- In partnership with TDH and other health resources, develop new leadership of the Health & Well-Being program
- Pastoral Care
- Women Retreat
- Pastor’s continuing education
- Develop youth leadership in partnership with the TN Conference young people’s ministries
- Develop new ministries in partnership with Congregational Development and Emerging Ministries
- Develop academic skills