Job Title: Children’s Ministry Lead Teacher
Type: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt, temporary position. This position is scheduled to last from 1 August 2021 to 31 May 2022
Hours: 5 hours a week. This person must be available on Sunday mornings (1.5 hours) onsite and Wednesday evenings onsite (1.5 hours) and is given two hours of preparation time each week to be used on preparing for Sunday School lesson or responding to emails.
Rate: $15-20/ hour, commiserate with experience
Reports to: Pastor of Children and Discipleship
Summary: Belmont United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we at Belmont UMC believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples.” We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ.
This position supports this mission by providing relevant teaching and a safe classroom environment for Belmont’s children. This position will be the lead teacher of a Sunday morning classroom of young children. The lead teacher will plan for an hour long Sunday School, prepare the lesson and present it to the children, manage the classroom assisted by volunteers, and follow CDC safe protocols. The Lead Teacher will be trained in using the children’s curriculum. This position will also assist with children’s choir on Wednesday nights, but will not be the lead teacher.
• Be trained or willing to be trained in CDC practices for children’s classrooms
• Order and supervise classroom experience with the best and safest covid protocols.
• Lead, support and encourage volunteer teachers and assistants
• Prepare for and teach the curriculum (as decided by the Children’s Ministry Team) each week
• Contact volunteers and parents as needed.
• Sign children in and ensure emergency contact information is provided
• Ensure Safe Sanctuary Guidelines are followed at all times
• Assist Children’s Music Director with Children’s choir classrooms on Wednesday evenings
• Be in communication with Children’s Pastor and Children’s Music Director weekly
• Attend Children’s Ministry Team meetings on Sunday afternoons (CMT meets approximately every 6 weeks)
• Other duties as assigned
• Must be 18 years of age
• 1 year of experience teaching children is preferred
• Experience teaching in a faith community is a plus
• Familiarity with inquiry-based teaching methodologies such as (Waldolf or Montessori) preferred
Will be in a children’s classroom for 3 hours a week and may be required to wear a mask
Will need a computer/ internet/ phone connection for email and phone communication
Anti-discrimination and anti-harrassment policy: Belmont United Methodist Church strives to provide a work environment that is free from discrimination and unlawful harassment. We will not permit discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military status, veteran status, disability, handicap, or any other legally protected category under applicable federal or state law. This standard of conduct applies to all managers, supervisors, employees, customers, and vendors.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 – $20.00 per hour
Masks are required.