**Benefits: access to medical, dental, vision, Paid-time off, and 403b.
Associate Director – Children’s Ministry
(Grades 1st – 5th)
Position Type: Exempt
Category: Regular, Full-time position
Reports to: Director of Children’s Ministry
The Associate Director of Children’s Ministry is responsible for the development and implementation of Christian formation through the stages of faith for children in the first through fifth grades and to work with the staff as a team to integrate the vision and mission of BUMC Children’s Ministry.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Provide leadership and vision for planning and implementing Milestone events, such as Worship Readiness, 3rd Grade Bibles, 4th Grade Prayer Walk, and 5th Grade Affirmation retreat
• Provide leadership for the planning and implementation of Vacation Bible School and Wonderfully Created (formerly Created by God/Wonderfully made)
• Recruit, manage, train, and communicate weekly with faith formation and Sunday School volunteers
• Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers by setting goals and themes for faith formation
• Create and manage environments, activities, and programming that will facilitate learning and encourage spiritual growth
• Plan and implement other programs and family activities for Children’s Ministry including camps, mission projects, and fellowship activities, providing leadership when necessary.
• Evaluate curriculum, objectives, and program implementation for ongoing faith formation ministries
• Work collaboratively with Student Ministry to provide a successful 5th grade transition
• Attend weekly and monthly staff meetings as well as L3 team meetings
• Assist with Children’s Ministry staff and volunteers on special events throughout the year
ADMINISTRATIVE & FINANCIAL DUTIES
• Oversee the purchase and ordering of curriculum and materials needed to implement curriculum
• Oversee and manage the budget for Elementary Ministry
• Manage social media sites for the Children’s Ministry
o Collaborate with the Communications Team and Children’s Ministry staff to design and manage Children’s Ministry webpages, promotion for special events and Milestones, and other publicity items as needed
o Communicate with other Children’s Ministry staff regarding content and timelines
• Send out weekly and monthly communication from the Children’s Ministry staff regarding upcoming events and programs to parents of 1st and 5th graders
• Maintain background checks and Safe Sanctuary training for all elementary volunteers
• Maintain the resource rooms which contain supplies, games, curriculum, Bibles, etc.
• High level of competency in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently (e.g., church management systems, event scheduling & registration software, and calendaring software)
• Understanding basic finance and budgeting processes
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Communicate effectively with children, families, volunteers, and staff
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time
• Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
• Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
• Self-starter who takes initiative and anticipates needs of the department
• Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required (preferred Elementary Education degree)
• Two (2) or more years’ experience in education or child development work
• Theological understanding of Methodism; seminary trained or equivalent years of experience working in ministry setting preferred
• Two (2) – Three (3) years’ experience working or volunteering in a medium or large church setting
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. This job requires being in the community with time spent in relational ministry with children and their families in a missionary model of presence outside the walls of the church.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. Position is mostly sedentary and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Occasionally, department events and programs require employee to be active – bend, stoop, crawl, crouch – as they participate in children’s activities. Employee must occasionally lift or move office supplies or other items up to 25 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work are Sunday – Thursday, 40 hours per week. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed
by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.