Reports to: Senior Pastor
Position: Full-time, exempt, 40 hours per week
Job Summary: The Business Administrator is responsible for managing the financial and business matters of the Church and will work closely with the Office Administrator of the Children’s Center. The Business Manager is the primary staff liaison to the finance and endowment committees; staff parish and trustees when requested.
● Responsible for Belle Meade UMC’s financial operations, including but not limited to accounting operations, preparation of financial statements, facilitating the annual audit process, meeting internal reporting requirements, conducting accounts reconciliation, and ensuring timely and accurate payroll and accounts payable processing.
○ Maintain church accounting dataset in ACS.
○ Prepare timely, accurate financial statements and reports for the finance
committee and Children’s Center review on a monthly basis. Provide oversight for
Children’s Center finances.
○ Reconcile bank accounts, credit card statements and all internal accounts on a
○ Prepare and reconcile monthly payroll activity, including employee and church
benefit plan contributions, on a timely basis; generate year-end reports and
complete tax related requirements.
○ Record cash deposits in ACS.
○ Process accounts payable on a weekly basis.
○ Analyze church cash flows and prepare reports for the finance committee.
○ Provide recommendations to the finance committee based on analysis and status
of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
○ Manage endowment fund documents; process related quarterly reports, deposits,
and withdrawals related to the endowment accounts.
○ Direct, coordinate, and manage internal and external audits to ensure compliance
with GAAP and BMUMC Financial Policies.
○ Develop and maintain church accounting policies and procedures.
○ Manage church banking relationships.
○ Provide financial tracking for church contracts.
● Create and manage the annual budget preparation and planning process with the finance committee, senior. pastor, and all program directors.
● Provide periodic audits of receipts and expenses and facilitate the annual audit process.
● Ensures the maintenance and security of records, including compliance with relevant
records system requirements and records retention policies.
● Meets, or ensures, the meeting of all reporting requirements of the Tennessee Conference
and the United Methodist Church and applicable state and local governments. Advises church staff and relevant committees of those requirements.
○ Prepare reports as needed to include, but not limited to annual Charge Conference reports.
● Work with clergy and lay leadership to create strategic plans related to finances of the church to maximize ministry goals.
Human Resources Duties
● Facilitates human resource management, orienting new personnel in personnel policies and procedures, the provisions of the personnel manual, payroll procedures, and entitlement to benefits. Maintains personnel records and provides for their security. Provides information to the staff parish relations committee for compensation planning, compliance with performance management, and position descriptions.
○ Develop and maintain church human resource policies and procedures.
○ Supervise business administration staff.
● 5-7 years of responsible management and financial experience (preparation of financial statements, payroll, bookkeeping, etc.), preferably in a nonprofit environment.
● Bachelors’ degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or other relevant area preferred.
● Proficiency in the use of computers and with Microsoft Word and Excel, ACS traditional church management software, Google Suite.
● Strong analytical skills.
● Excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal skills and professionalism.
● Experience with employee retirement and benefit plans.
● Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
● A commitment both to continuing personal development and self-care, and maintaining
wholeness as a person.
● Proficiency in the use of computers and a wide range of business applications and systems, especially church accounting systems and other systems tailored for church and non-profit organizations.
● Greater than 7 years financial experience, preferably in a non-profit environment.
● Previous work as a church business administrator; UMC preferred.
● Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement (403B)
How To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org