Associate Director of Village Kids
The Village Church, Nashville
Currently meeting at Sunset Middle School in Nolensville, TN
The Village Church Mission: Leading ordinary people to become disciples of Jesus who make disciples who make disciples who change the world.
The Village Kids Associate Director’s mission is to work alongside The Director of Village Kids to build and lead a healthy, dynamic, multiplying team of volunteers that empowers parents to be faith formational leaders, creating environments both at home and at church where kids are becoming disciples of Jesus who make disciples who make disciples who change the world.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Live out the vision and mission of The Village Church
o Provide support and leadership in the Village Kids ministries
o Be in relation with the children & families of the church, the community and with Village Kids volunteers
o Coordinate and equip Village Kids teams as they carry out the ministry and mission of Village Kids
Sunday Morning Leadership — Provide support and guidance for the Village Kids Leader Team on Sunday mornings by being present with the team and equipping them for ministry
● Equip, care for and lead teams as they engage in ministry.
– Equip teams by ordering and organizing supplies, reviewing curriculum and providing tools, resources and training needed
– Care for volunteers by listening to and problem-solving issues as they arise, build relationships, and pray for them and the Village Kids ministry.
– Lead teams on Sunday mornings as the point person for Village Kids worship
● Coordinate Sunday morning Village Kids Logistics.
– Recruit, train, and schedule a full serving team for Sunday mornings while managing any last-minute volunteer cancellations
– Gather supplies and print curriculum for Sunday Mornings
– Upload media to correlate with Village Kids curriculum
● Create and coordinate teams that provide support during Village Kids
– Implement systems for set up and tear down of the Village Kids Sunday morning spaces.
Volunteer Support and Recruiting — Coordinate Sunday Village Kids Serving Teams and participate in the Village Kids Lead Team helping to develop and cast vision and equip volunteer leaders to carry out the mission of the church. Recruit, assist, equip and empower children’s ministry team leaders as they develop Preschool through 5th grade weekly programming.
● Coordinate weekly Village Kids Leader serving needs (Preschool – 5th Grade) by serving as the point person for this communication and support for leaders. Provide support for leader scheduling so that all leadership roles are filled on a Sunday morning and communicate volunteer list with each week serving team
● Help to recruit and assist with onboarding new team members by providing training on policies and safe sanctuary
● Check in for emergency cancellations and help to problem solve these on the weekends when needed
● Send weekly serving requests and follow ups when needed
Community — Passionately pursue opportunities for Village Kids to be a presence in the community with and for the children and families within it
● Create Bridges between the community, the church, and Village Kids Lead Team to meet needs and/or create connections
● Live a life of mission in the community by building relationships with neighbors, local school faculty and staff, and children and parents who live in the community by being present with them.
● Actively serve in the local area schools by seeking opportunities to meet their current needs.
Camp Village Kids -Lead a team to develop a summer camp for children in the community
● Recruit a volunteer co-director to help oversee and guide preparations for Camp with the assistance of the Camp Lead Team.
● Lead the Camp Lead Team in creation of and implementation of Camp including content development, registration, volunteer recruitment, supply purchasing, budgeting, marketing and communications, follow up with families and children, and intentionally reaching the community
● Be the point person for camp prep, camp week and camp follow up.
– Write, edit, and finalize camp curriculum
– Create supply lists, shop for, and organize supplies
– Create marketing plan with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to share camp details with the community
– Recruit volunteers
– Set camp costs and monitor budget
– Implement registration form in approved church database
– Organize volunteer training prior to camp
o Update database and contact lists for all kids and families (weekly and for special events or services)
o Oversee communication to families with children including Emma emails, series updates, monthly parent resources, mailings, weekly take home pages, social media, etc.
● Oversee follow up for first time guests (to be done weekly) and children/families who have had a gap in their attendance
● Adjust kids’ attendance in databases each Sunday, take leader attendance and assist in processes around what we are doing with the information available to us
● Assist in building systems that expect and welcome guests
● Provide ideas on connection point after special events or all ages worship services
● Assist Pastor Director of Village Kids in creating new ways to reach out to families
o Coordinate Sunday logistics, supply prep and shopping
● Assist in creating systems for curriculum supply lists, printing materials for Sunday mornings and gather, shop for and prepare supplies as needed
● Coordinate, train and lead set-up and tear down and examine the weekly logistics needed for Sunday Village Kids
● Clearly demonstrate faith in, and a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
● Understands and embodies the mission, vision, and values of The Village UMC
● Enjoys a team environment and a job they can build, grow, and evolve as well as working independently to complete a variety of tasks
● Ability and willingness to experiment, make mistakes, laugh, have fun, and take creative risks
● Loves children and families and is passionate about ministering to children and families of the community
● Leadership skills and experience in leading volunteer teams
● High level of competency in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with the ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently
● Effective written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent organizational skills
● Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
While this position does not have direct reports, it does work with church volunteers on carrying out children’s ministries.
This job operates outside the walls of a formal church and office building. Employee will work in various types of environments including, but not limited to, working from home, working in public spaces alone or in groups, and working on Sundays at Sunset Middle School. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in various work environments as listed above. Position is somewhat sedentary and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Employee must lift or move boxes of supplies or other ministry-related items up to 30 pounds. Position requires bending, stooping, and reaching to setup and teardown for Sunday morning and other events.
Expected Hours of Work
Hours of work are 25 hours per week. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. (example: Camp Village Kids) Sunday is a workday (7a – 1p) with other hours worked during the week as schedule requires. Some hours on Friday or Saturday are required to prepare for Sunday worship.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
Education and Experience Requirements
● Bachelor’s degree in child development or related field preferred
● Two (2) – three (3) years of related children’s ministry experience preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed
by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.