24 Hours To Protect Health Care
We need you to call your member of Congress to let them know the American Health Care Bill creates more problems than it solves.
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected with your congressperson’s office.
Or, find your member of Congress here and call their local office.
The Affordable Care Act was a huge step forward, but there is more work to do. Instead of doing this work, instead of increasing the number of people with insurance, members of Congress are poised to pass the American Health Care Act, which would be a major step backward. The AHCA is poised to increase the number of uninsured people by 24 million. That’s wrong.
The House of Representatives is looking to vote on this bill Thursday, that’s why we need you to call now. They need to know that United Methodists like you want more coverage, not less.
Tell them our families, our churches and our communities will be damaged if they pass this legislation.
The proposed law:
- Abandons vulnerable populations by capping Medicaid and halting Medicaid expansion.
- prioritizes healthier and wealthier people at the expense of poor and sicker populations by replacing subsidies with insufficient tax credits.
- Threatens the availability of birth control, pregnancy checkups and cancer screenings for millions of women by denying reimbursement to existing health care clinics.
The United Methodist Church believes:
- People living in poverty should have access to preventative care reducing chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
- People suffering from addiction should have access to rehabilitation programs as much as they need to get and stay clean and sober.
- Older adults and people with disabilities requiring long-term care should receive the care they need to live with dignity.
- Women should have access to preventative and prenatal care to decrease the number of unintended pregnancies, the number of maternal and infant deaths and the number of women dying from cancer that should have been detected through regular Pap smears and mammograms.
Your voice is needed TODAY! Call your Representative and make sure that they know that people of faith are watching and expecting them to protect “the least of these” when they cast their votes.
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 or at their local office and ask them to connect you to your Representative. When the staff person answers, tell them where you are from and that you want the Member to VOTE NO on the American Health Care Act.
Here is a sample script you can use:
“Hi, my name is__________, and I live in (city, state). As a United Methodist, I believe that health care is a basic human right. I urge the Congresswoman/Congressman to vote NO on the American Health Care Act.”