Status: Part Time
Hours: 10 hours per week, $15/hour
Overview: Kingston Springs United Methodist Church (KSUMC) is seeking a part-time Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries. KSUMC is a small membership community with a historic and inclusive presence in downtown Kingston Springs serving the communities of Kingston Springs, Pegram, Bellevue, White Bluff, Dickson, and
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries is supervised by the Lead Pastor and is accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. The Children’s and Youth Director is considered part of the church’s ministerial staff and will conduct him/herself as a ministerial professional.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries is responsible for designing and leading
ministry to children and youth from birth to 12th grade. The Director will provide
leadership to all aspects of KSUMC children’s and youth programming including
spiritual formation, mission, and fellowship.
The primary objective of the children’s and youth ministry at KSUMC is to build meaningful relationships with children, youth and their families that foster growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
An effective and fruitful children’s/youth ministry will:
● Create a loving and welcoming atmosphere for children, youth and their families.
● Encourage children and youth as they explore and grow their relationship with
● Create or collaborate on opportunities for spiritual nurture, worship, fellowship,
and Christian service.
● Challenge children and youth to respond to God’s call to service in the
community and world.
● Plan, develop, and direct implementation of programming for children and youth
ministry, primarily on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings.
○ Lead Children’s Ministry activities on Sunday mornings, which includes:
■ Sunday School at 9:15a (we currently do not have children
■ Worship at 10:30a – lead Children’s Message during worship
service and age-appropriate activity in Children’s Classroom during
○ Lead Youth Ministry Activities on Wednesday Nights, which includes:
■ Eating at the all-church dinner: 5:45p-6:30p
■ Leading youth fellowship and spiritual formation activities: 6:30-8p
● Be relationally present to youth and parents in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at
school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
● Be an advocate for, and educate the congregation regarding, the hopes,
concerns and needs of children and youth.
● Recruit, train and support program volunteers who work with children and youth
in all aspects of ministry, and enlist adequate volunteer support.
● Provide a communications link using all available resources (email, website,
bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, social media, etc.) between children, youth,
parents, church leadership, staff, and the congregation.
● Mentor youth to help them develop leadership skills and sense of vocational
● Coordinate spiritual formation opportunities and curriculum for children and youth
in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
● Coordinate Confirmation classes in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
● Keep records of youth participation and manage the annual youth ministry
budget in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
● Plan and lead opportunities for retreat, fellowship, and Christian service (E.g. TN
UMC’s Warmth in Winter).
● Maintain connections with high school graduates and oversee outreach to these
● Ensure that the child and youth protection plan, Safe Sanctuary, is observed in
all youth ministry settings.
● Share prayer concerns with Lead Pastor, when appropriate.
● A growing relationship with Christ.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher level of education.
● Understanding of United Methodist policy, worship, and theology, or the
willingness to learn.
● Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage, and implement a
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills,
and computer skills.
● Proven ability to work effectively with youth, parents, diverse individuals, and
teams of volunteers.
● CPR certification is preferred but not required.
● Submit resume and three professional/education references to
● Satisfactory completion of a background check performed by KSUMC before
offer of employment.