Franklin First United Methodist Church
CHURCH’S MISSION STATEMENT: “Knowing Christ, Sharing Christ, Making Disciples.”
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Any essential function or requirement of this job will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
POSITION: Church Controller
POSITION REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Full time
POSITION SUMMARY: The Church Controller is responsible for conducting the
business affairs of the church in an ethical and business-like manner. The individual will
work closely with the Senior Pastor and Finance Committee in matters relating to
oversight of all church finances, employee records, all church insurance, and the day-today
administration of church financial and business affairs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Supervision of all financial staff.
2. Coordinate and oversee weekly counting of donations and deposits into Church bank accounts
3. Maintain the church’s financial records and accounting accurately, up-to-date and in compliance with best practices for financial functions and recordkeeping.
4. Complete and manage the monthly financial close of the books, including journal entries and consolidation with the Church Foundation.
5. Coordinate and maintain the Church banking relationships, including computation of bank covenants, timing of financial reporting, etc.
6. Prepare monthly reports for the Finance and Staff Parish Relations (SPR) Committees, review reports prior to meetings with committee Chairs, and attend evening meetings of the Finance Committee, Board of Trustees, Foundation and,upon request, SPRC and Church Council meetings.
7. Provide timely reports of budget versus actual spending by department to the head of each department
8. Ensure that appropriate internal accounting controls are designed and implemented.
9. Prepare the church budget on an annual basis, providing assistance and information to committees as needed.
10. Oversee annual audit.
11. Consolidate financial information with the Church Foundations records.
12. Maintaining all employee records ensuring all state and federal laws and guidelines are satisfied.
13. Ensure that all directives and guidelines in the Employee Policy Handbook related to the financial affairs of the Church are instituted.
14. Perform background checks as needed on, applicants, employees and volunteers.
15. Ensure that all financial reports required by the Annual Conference are completed and submitted.
16. In consultation with the Board of Trustees, responsible for keeping records for and ensuring that all facilities are adequately insured.
17. In consultation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, responsible for keeping records for and ensuring appropriate insurance coverage for qualified employees of the church.
18. Assist in coordination of maintaining all office equipment and addressing of computer related concerns of the church, ensuring hardware and software are maintained and updated as appropriate.
19. Attend staff meetings.
20. Manage relationships with outside vendors including payroll outsource firm and accounting outsource firm.
21. Assist in coordination of on-boarding of new staff.
22. Perform other related duties as requested by the Senior Pastor.
o Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required and accounting background preferred.
CPA preferred but not required.
o Supervisory experience and ability to delegate duties as needed, preferred.
o Quikbooks and Excel experience required
o Minimum of 5 years’ work experience
Skills and Abilities:
o Ability to prepare and interpret clear and concise financial reports, correspondence and other written materials
o Analytical abilities to integrate and interpret data from various sources and to plan, develop and implement responsible finance and business strategies
o Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and undertake responsibilities with initiative and sound judgment
o Ability to communicate and work positively and effectively with all program, administrative and support staff as well as volunteers and church members
o Must possess and demonstrate sound financial and business management practices
o Effective supervisory skills sufficient to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position
o Tact and diplomacy to deal with a wide variety of individuals and personalities in responding to the needs and questions of the congregation
o Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and integrity in processing sensitive and confidential information
o Ability to undertake responsibilities with initiative and good judgment and to assume accountability for work performed
o Must have working knowledge of state and federal laws related to required functions of this position
Salary: Commensurate with position and experience