East End UMC is seeking a creative and innovative leader for our children’s ministry: one who can grow with a thriving, diverse community of believers. This leader will enter sacred places of wonder and exploration with our children and families. This position is best suited for individuals with a passion for working with children, an understanding of Methodist theology or a willingness to learn about our tradition and an openness to learn and grow into the position. The director will create space for children and their families to experience their faithfully through Godly Play, children’s worship experiences, and intergenerational relationship building. They will empower volunteers to embody their gifts through the ministries of the church. Come wonder and explore the depths of faith and discipleship with the children and families of East End UMC.
Primary Function: The Director of ministries with children and their families will develop
and oversee the programs for children, which includes weekly
Children’s Church, Kid Connection (teaching Godly Play), and other
special programming such as Vacation Bible School, large community outreach events, Christmas gatherings, and parent connectional opportunities. The director shall seek to foster a strong education program through building relationships with children and their families, staff and church leaders that strengthen their commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
1. Promote and implement a Christian Education program that contributes to the spiritual development of children.
2. Provide a welcome and coordinated effort for children and families.
3. Develop programs that empower children and their families in spiritual formation
4. Stay up to date on the most evidence-based pedagogies in childhood education
5. Empower church members to take ownership of children’s ministries and connectional opportunities
6. Coordinate efforts with neighborhood churches to reach East Nashville children and families
7. Work with Youth Minister to develop a Children and Youth Ministry strategic plan that supports the mission and vision of the East End UMC.
8. Participate in the preparation and development of the budget for the Children and Youth Ministry.
The director of ministries with children and their families plays a major role in the faith development of all
ages within the church, both as a leader and as an example. East End UMC seeks a person who has a strong theological base, understands the needs of a transitional urban neighborhood, has experience and/or is willing to learn the United Methodist tradition, and who has a strong love for and desire to nurture children and their families in the Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs and who values a team concept of ministry.
1. A degree or background in education or child development, preferably
2. An open mind to continued learning
3. Spiritual maturity
4. A sense of call and a passion for working with children
5. Friendly, enthusiastic, and flexible team approach while working with children, parents, staff members and team members
6. Good organizational, communication, teaching, administration and computer skills
7. An understanding of child development and age-appropriate educational practices for children and youth.
8. Ability to relate to children and youth and to teach them about Christ.
The director of ministries with children and youth requires flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. The position is part-time with salary based upon fifteen-twenty (15-20) hours per week. The actual number of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year.
Apply by sending resume to firstname.lastname@example.org