All of Lent is a lesson in giving up pieces of ourselves. … The closer we wish to come to God, the more of our carefully constructed selves we must relinquish. We have to give up our illusions, our defenses, any selfish personal goals, our carefully designed sense of who we are supposed to be and what we are supposed to do. This sounds terrible, and it can be painful. However, as we give up these areas, we open ourselves, and God enters more fully.
– Sarah Parsons, A Clearing Season: Reflections for Lent
In your preparation for Lent, The Upper Room offers the following times to support you in your journey:
- Ash Wednesday, February 14, 10:45 a.m., The Upper Room Chapel – A service of song, reflection, and the imposition of ashes. (Our service will be led by Victoria Rebeck and David Kim.)
- Each Wednesday at 10:45 a.m., The Upper Room Chapel – worship service.
- Holy Week, March 26 – 30
– Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. in Upper Room Chapel – A short service of midday prayer. (There will be no Wednesday 10:45 service this week.)
– Thursday, March 29, 10:45 a.m., Upper Room Chapel, Maundy Thursday service of communion.
– Friday, March 30 – holiday
An option for your Lenten discipline: You are invited to join a Lenten online course. Learn more about the Lenten online courses: https://mailchi.mp/3213d15a8dc4/elearning-upper-room-february-2018?e=%5bUNIQID
Upcoming Dates at The Upper Room for Your Calendar:
African American Heritage – February
February 21, 10:45 a.m., Michelle Morton and students from TSU.
February 28, 10:45 a.m., Forrest Harris, President, American Baptist College.