Please join us to honor and acknowledge the history of Pickett Chapel in conjunction with the 155th Anniversary of Pickett-Rucker United Methodist Church. The event is on Saturday, August 28th, 4-6 pm, at the historic Pickett Chapel, 209 East Market Street, Lebanon, TN, 37087. Masks and social distancing are encouraged. The event is free, but donations for the restoration of the original Pickett Chapel building are welcome. The building is now being restored by the Wilson County Black History Commission for the use of the community.
Pickett Chapel was built in 1827 by enslaved and free blacks, who were skilled laborers, to serve as the building for the congregation that today is known as Lebanon First United Methodist Church. In 1866, the property was sold to free blacks, and named Pickett Chapel. In 1973, the congregation, known today as Pickett Rucker United Methodist Church, marched to their new location at 633 Glover Street in Lebanon.
The historic building was one of the earliest brick churches built for Methodists in Middle Tennessee, and was the second brick church building in Middle Tennessee to be used exclusively as a Historically Black Church. The congregation likely began with some of the 78 Blacks recorded as members of the Lebanon Circuit in 1820.
Pickett-Rucker UMC historian Mary Harris, author of a history of Pickett Chapel, has organized the event with the help of clergy and laity from Pickett-Rucker UMC, Lebanon First UMC, and local historians.
There will be a program about the history of the chapel, as well as booths and fellowship. For more information, call or text the archives mobile at 615-601-1581.Flyer